- ABOUT US ▼
- PROGRAMS ▼
- TEST ONLINE
Writing in IELTS is not a skill that you can learn by youself. You need someone to help you check and correct mistakes. However, you can do the following to get above average.
1. Before writing an essay, you must know the basic struture used in the essay. An instrution book can help you with this.
2. Do Task 2 first since this is easier and value more points.
3. Don't waste too much time on Task 1 in Writing IELTS. Learn all the sentences structures for each type of graphs in Task 1. In the real test, you must apply those strutures on the statistics given. Read as many material as possible and take notes of some good structures to combine several ones in this task. Some can also be used in Task 2.
4. You have to finish both tasks at any cost. If not, lots of points will be lost.
5. Write a lot. Manage to finish both tasks in one hour. You can just focus only on Task 1 or Task 2, but before taking the real test, you should practice writing both in a limited time.
6. Write a lot will help make the essay perfect. This is totally true in writing IELTS. It would be better when ask someone to check and correct your essay.
7. Writing alwasy requires a huge amount of vocabulary. Practicing writing with a dictionary to widen your vocabulary.
8. Avoid writing in a subjective way. It is an important rule. For example, don't use acronym, don't use first and second person pronouns and possessive adjectives (I, you, me, my, your), except the conclusion because this is the part when you have to express your opions.
9. Each paregraph in the body must include: topic sentence, reasoning (2-3 sentences), explanation (evidence, example, statistics, etc.) In many languages (including English), there are many ways to develop a paragraph and it is not compulsory to start with the topic sentence. However, you should not be creative in Writing IELTS. Topic sentence is recommended to be at the beginning of the paragraph.
You have to try your best if you want to success. You should have a clear motivation and a strong will to overcome difficulties. Practice is the only way to become successful. Do not depend on luck. It will never come to you if you don't know when to grabs it.
Besides, trying to write one or two essays at home before taking the test will not help you do it better. It only make you feel more stress.
Finally, being comfortable and self-confident before taking the test is necessary.
Thanh Tam (ielts-blog.com)